MD - Susquehanna Flats - 2002/08/25



Kayaking Inspired Gifts - Sales Help Support This Site




Three Lighthouse Tour - 18.0 miles - Concord Lighthouse, Turkey Point Lighthouse and Fishing Battery Lighthouse can be visited in this 18 mile tour across the Susquehanna Flats.




By Steve Rohrs

Sunday 8/25/2002 @ 8:50 am
Millard Tydings Marina
Temp Air:78-88 degrees Wtr: 80+
Wind: NW 13 mph Gust: None
High Tide 12:13 PM
Trip Length:18 miles Time: 6 h ours

Steve Eddyline Falcon18 and Greenland paddle.
Hank Mariner Express and Lightning paddle





Launch ramp at Tydings park



Launched kayaks from floating pier since there was a bit of congestion at the ramp.




Concorde Lighthouse



Steve @ Lighthouse #1, Concord Point Light was built on this spot in 1827, a 36 foot tower with 3 foot thick granite walls. The lantern was originally lit with 9 whale oil lamps with 16 inch tin reflectors. In 1854 a sixth-order Fresnel lens was installed, and this was eventually upgraded to a fifth-order lens  




Tydings Park marina



Here is a distant view of Tydings Marina




Hank at Lighthouse on Elk Neck



11:02 A.M. - 11:32 A.M.

Lighthouse #2, Turkey Point Light, only thirty-eight feet tall, happens to be the highest of 74 lighthouses located on the Chesapeake Bay because it stands on a 100-foot-high bluff. It was visible for 13 miles.

Stayed in kayaks for our lunch due to shoreline being far to rocky to risk scratching our pretty boats.




Fishing Battery Lighthouse



1:16 P.M.

Island #1 & Lighthouse #3, Fishing Battery Light was built in 1853 on an artificial island off the entrance to the harbor of Aberdeen, Maryland, in the northernmost part of the Chesapeake Bay.

(editor: The island was built in the early 1800's to provide a site for harvesting the American Shad the migrated up the Susquehanna to spawn. The seemingly inexhaustible supply of fish provided an unbelievably large tonnage of fish. Robert Gale and John Donahoo to provide a location for a hauling ramp to operate the seine nets stretched across the deep channel created by the Susquehanna River. Facilities for cutting, salting and packing the fish and simple housing for the workers were built on the island. The island has been known in various times as Donahoo Battery, Shad Battery, Edmonson Island, battery Island, but mostly has been known as the descriptive Fishing Battery. The shad fishing industry flourished in the years 188 to 1909 declining from overfishing after that period. The construction of Conowingo Dam in the late 1920's cut off access of the fish to the Susquehanna and the fish population plummeted, dooming the industry.)



The lighthouse was built in 1853 by John Donahoo, the owner of the island, after he won the contract to build the lighthouse on a portion of his island. The State of Maryland purchased the island in 1891 The lighthouse served mariners coming up the Susquehanna Channel until 1921 when the light was moved to the automated beacon next to the house. Keepers continued to live in the lighthouse until 1939.

In 1942, the island became a national wildlife refuge. Since then, things have gone steadily downhill for the abandoned lighthouse, and it is now on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of critically endangered lighthouses. Now part of the Susquehanna Wild Life refuge, the island and lighthouse is not open to the public.

(editor: The Battery Island Preservation Society, a group of concerned citizens of Havre de Grace, tried to preserve the structure, but a lack of funding domed the effort.)


Pleasure fleet at anchor off islands



1:30 P.M.

Island #2, the larger island just SW of Battery Island, looks as though it's becoming the next Hart-Miller. It won't be long before the pit-beef concession stand opens! We actually decide to paddle north to another small island due to noise and congestion.

Island #3, the small island just NW of Battery Island, we stopped to stretch our legs after 5 hours of paddling. We explored the island and talked with an overnight camper for 17 minutes.




Tydings park ramp from the water



2:51 PM

The boat ramp can be very busy on weekends. We had no problem exiting our kayaks from the floating pier.








Eurasian milfoil carpets the bottom of the Susquehanna Flats.

Other nearby trips

Havre de Grace to Swan Creek

Havre de Grace to Rock Run

Conowingo to Holtwood Dam

Northeast River


Sp






Forum




EVEN THE BEST BOATERS CAN FIND THEMSELVES IN SERIOUS TROUBLE ON THE MILDEST OF DAYS ON THE WATER. PARTICIPATION IN THIS SPORT IS A STRENUOUS ACTIVITY. CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE UNDERTAKING ANY SUCH ACTIVITY. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT EACH BOATER TAKES FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS OR HER OWN SAFETY, AND IS TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE DANGER LEVEL AND ACCEPTING THE CONSEQUENCES OF PARTICIPATING IN THIS SPORT.


SeaKayak Chesapeake bay makes no representations and extends no warranties of any type as to the accuracy or completeness of any information or content on this website.This website is for informational purposes only. All of the information provided on this website is provided "AS-IS" and with NO WARRANTIES. No express or implied warranties of any type, including for example implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are made with respect to the information, or any use of the information, on this site. 


Maps and map related products available on this website, including but not limited to imagery, data, and data sources are hereby specifically identified as being unsuitable for use in navigation. By using any of these products or services, you have agreed to these terms, whether or not the map or any other use is labeled “Not for Navigation”.

Copyright on original material by Sea Kayak Chesapeake Bay TM 2001 through 2019. All rights reserved.

S

k