|By Steve Rohrs|
Sunday 8/25/2002 @ 8:50 am
Millard Tydings Marina
Temp Air:78-88 degrees Wtr: 80+
Wind: NW 13 mph Gust: None
High Tide 12:13 PM
Trip Length:18 miles Time: 6 h ours
Steve Eddyline Falcon18 and Greenland paddle.
Hank Mariner Express and Lightning paddle
Launched kayaks from floating pier since there was a bit of congestion at the ramp.
Steve @ Lighthouse #1, Concord Point Light was built on this spot in 1827, a 36 foot tower with 3 foot thick granite walls. The lantern was originally lit with 9 whale oil lamps with 16 inch tin reflectors. In 1854 a sixth-order Fresnel lens was installed, and this was eventually upgraded to a fifth-order lens
Here is a distant view of Tydings Marina
The lighthouse was built in 1853 by John Donahoo, the owner of the island, after he won the contract to build the lighthouse on a portion of his island. The State of Maryland purchased the island in 1891 The lighthouse served mariners coming up the Susquehanna Channel until 1921 when the light was moved to the automated beacon next to the house. Keepers continued to live in the lighthouse until 1939.
Island #1 & Lighthouse #3, Fishing Battery Light was built in 1853 on an artificial island off the entrance to the harbor of Aberdeen, Maryland, in the northernmost part of the Chesapeake Bay.
(editor: The island was built in the early 1800's to provide a site for harvesting the American Shad the migrated up the Susquehanna to spawn. The seemingly inexhaustible supply of fish provided an unbelievably large tonnage of fish. Robert Gale and John Donahoo to provide a location for a hauling ramp to operate the seine nets stretched across the deep channel created by the Susquehanna River. Facilities for cutting, salting and packing the fish and simple housing for the workers were built on the island. The island has been known in various times as Donahoo Battery, Shad Battery, Edmonson Island, battery Island, but mostly has been known as the descriptive Fishing Battery. The shad fishing industry flourished in the years 188 to 1909 declining from overfishing after that period. The construction of Conowingo Dam in the late 1920's cut off access of the fish to the Susquehanna and the fish population plummeted, dooming the industry.)
In 1942, the island became a national wildlife refuge. Since then, things have gone steadily downhill for the abandoned lighthouse, and it is now on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of critically endangered lighthouses. Now part of the Susquehanna Wild Life refuge, the island and lighthouse is not open to the public.
(editor: The Battery Island Preservation Society, a group of concerned citizens of Havre de Grace, tried to preserve the structure, but a lack of funding domed the effort.)
Island #2, the larger island just SW of Battery Island, looks as though it's becoming the next Hart-Miller. It won't be long before the pit-beef concession stand opens! We actually decide to paddle north to another small island due to noise and congestion.
Island #3, the small island just NW of Battery Island, we stopped to stretch our legs after 5 hours of paddling. We explored the island and talked with an overnight camper for 17 minutes.
Other nearby trips
Eurasian milfoil carpets the bottom of the Susquehanna Flats.
Havre de Grace to Swan Creek
Havre de Grace to Rock Run
Conowingo to Holtwood Dam